Sunday 1 May 2011

Stuckists: Enemies of Art



Bank Holiday hangover. I knew I should have posted this yesterday. I went to Archway’s Launderdale for the Stuckists Enemies of Art Show. There was something alfresco about the show, a breather from installations that could pay off your yearly mortgage, unfussy (borderline messy) and honestly motivated.
Paul Harvey and Ella Guru made the show but the ‘emotional landscape’ wasn’t manifested like I was expecting. The wholesomeness of the paintings, the apparent intention of the show did its work for the lack of emotional charge. I have little care for a 10 year old’s poster paint handiwork and I was actually running from the badly composed weepy figuratives, they were almost dialing for your sentiments - the words ‘organized fun’ springs to mind.
I was really excited about the show because their manifesto is inciting in a very good way , I’m pro anything that encourages honourable painting but the works didn’t correspond to their strong manifesto. I will still visit their next show, it was endearing but maybe I was expecting a very great deal. Grand spaces and luxury installations seems to be conditioning, it is probably all the facility attractions (i'm not at all adverse to a latte in between gallery rooms and eco power hand dryers) but when a gallery starts behaving like a Westfield shopping Centre, that is what it will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment