Tuesday 22 November 2011

3D Deadline

The Explanation




Hans Bellmer, La Bouche (Bell 37), 1936. This photograph was included in the Hommage a Hans Bellmer deluxe exhibition catalogue, Nov 26, 1975 - Feb 26, 1976, Galerie Francoise Petit, Paris.

Although there may be similarities, my work and ideas are not derived by Hans Bellmer. I have lazily googled his works and they strike me as tormenting but in an intriguing way. His works seems mostly sexual and I can easily interpret his suggestions as derogatory.

I will using red velvet react against the space and objects, the unique surface creates a visual texture, I feel it plays against light and the limps of the doll. The knives are there to add an overwhelming sense of foreboding.


The installation I have in mind for tomorrow works on themes such as anxiety, superficiality, pretence and aspiration. When I really narrow it down, it is a lot to do with alienation within a culture of what I like to describe as Phantom Aspirations and I think the reversion to fleshy tones (imitating real skin) is a means of questioning popular culture and aspirations. The fetishtic aesthetic taps into a sub-culture, a means to finding a belonging.
Adding on, I also feel the attempt to create a true likeness over the shop doll is like making a statement, a visual statement that declares a sense of anxiety and loathing at current structures and strong holds within society.



I wanted to portray the weaknesses of human desires, how aspirations are sexual and how sexual aspirations have become. This is best shown by the nakedness and fragmentation of the doll, lost and mislaid.

There is a strong orientation to the female psyche, it could be interpreted as provocative and weak – this piece I still hope is empowering because it shows a strong awareness of the lack of control.

1 comment:

  1. I pick this out as my favourite piece on here. I can really understand what you describe in the commentary when I view this work. Very thought provoking, to the point of confrontational.

    Ike :)

    ReplyDelete